Your copy of the Davis-Monthan Airfield Register 1925-1936 with all the pilots' signatures and helpful cross-references to pilots and their aircraft is available at the link. 375 pages with black & white photographs and extensive tables


The Congress of Ghosts (available as eBook) is an anniversary celebration for 2010.  It is an historical biography, that celebrates the 5th year online of and the 10th year of effort on the project dedicated to analyze and exhibit the history embodied in the Register of the Davis-Monthan Airfield, Tucson, AZ. This book includes over thirty people, aircraft and events that swirled through Tucson between 1925 and 1936. It includes across 277 pages previously unpublished photographs and texts, and facsimiles of personal letters, diaries and military orders. Order your copy at the link.


Military Aircraft of the Davis Monthan Register 1925-1936 is available at the link. This book describes and illustrates with black & white photographs the majority of military aircraft that landed at the Davis-Monthan Airfield between 1925 and 1936. The book includes biographies of some of the pilots who flew the aircraft to Tucson as well as extensive listings of all the pilots and airplanes. Use this FORM to order a copy signed by the author, while supplies last.


Art Goebel's Own Story by Art Goebel (edited by G.W. Hyatt) is written in language that expands for us his life as a Golden Age aviation entrepreneur, who used his aviation exploits to build a business around his passion.  Available as a free download at the link.


Winners' Viewpoints: The Great 1927 Trans-Pacific Dole Race (available as eBook) is available at the link. This book describes and illustrates with black & white photographs the majority of military aircraft that landed at the Davis-Monthan Airfield between 1925 and 1936. The book includes biographies of some of the pilots who flew the aircraft to Tucson as well as extensive listings of all the pilots and airplanes. Use this FORM to order a copy signed by the author, while supplies last.


Clover Field: The first Century of Aviation in the Golden State (available in paperback) With the 100th anniversary in 2017 of the use of Clover Field as a place to land aircraft in Santa Monica, this book celebrates that use by exploring some of the people and aircraft that made the airport great. 281 pages, black & white photographs.


the register


I'm looking for information and photographs of this airplane to include on this page. If you have some you'd like to share, please click this FORM to contact me.


Thanks to Guest Editor Bob Woodling for help researching this page.






You may NOW donate via PAYPAL by clicking the "Donate" icon below and using your credit card. You may use your card or your PAYPAL account. You are not required to have a PAYPAL account to donate.


When your donation clears the PAYPAL system, a certified receipt from Delta Mike Airfield, Inc. will be emailed to you for your tax purposes.




Isle Royale Line Advertising Poster, Ca. 1932 (Source: Link)



I do not know much about this airplane, a Sikorsky S-38B, S/N 214-3. An online database has it owned by the Southern Sugar Company, Bromar Corporation (had its charter repealed in 1957 because of failure to pay taxes), then D.W. Norris, then Northwest Airways, then H.L. Plummer and finally G. Daufkirch (see below).

NC199H landed once at Parks Airport, on Saturday, April 2, 1932. It was flown by Carl V. Vickery. Based at Milwaukee, WI, he cited his destination as Milwaukee. He listed no passengers. He was flying for the Walgreen Drug Company, which must have operated the airplane briefly.

Just before the Depression, one Clyde Harold Wescoat, sold his auto dealership in Detroit, and moved to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There, Wescoat owned a resort, a gift shop, and started the area's first airport.

In 1932, Wescoat purchased a Sikorsky S-38 (NC199H) and set up The Royale Line, which was a flying boat service that ferried passengers between Copper Harbor, Michigan and Isle Royale National Park, an island archipelago located in the northwestern portion of Lake Superior. At the link you'll find five additional photographs of 199H in Royale Line livery when it was flying for the Line.



Below is a striking photo of NC199H from that link.

Sikorsky S-38 NC199H, Houghton Sands, Michigan, 1932 (Source: Link)
Sikorsky S-38 NC199H, Houghton Sands, Michigan, 1932 (Source: Link)

Text describing NC199H when it was with The Royale Line is below from the link.

Credit for these photo's goes to Clyde Harold Wescoat of Copper Harbor, Michigan, the grandson of the Royale Line's founder. Clyde Wescoat dug these photos out of his grandfather's archives. The photos were shot by Kukkonen Studios, of Hancock, Michigan in 1932 on what are called the Houghton Sands--which are located on the canal dividing the Keweenau Peninsula from the rest of the Upper Peninsula. Richard Adams produced these copies which are digital photographs of the original big plate photographs.

The airplane shown above was completed by Sikorsky in 1928. Her original owner was the Southern Sugar Company which operated an enormous sugar cane plantation around on the southern side of Lake Okeechobee (Florida). The Southern Sugar Company went bankrupt in 1929 and NC199H was aquired by a private party in Mukwanago (WI). In 1932, C.H. Wescoat purchased NC199H and set up The Royale Line. The Royale Line was a flying boat service that was set up in 1932 to ferry passengers between Houghton and Lake Superior's Isle Royale. The final disposition of NC199H is unknown.

NC199H suffered an accident on Long Island Sound, April 17, 1940. The only details of that accident are in an unsourced news article, below, from the link. It appears that the accident was a wash out for the airplane as well as the passengers.


PORT WASHINGTON, L. I., April 27 — Three occupants of a twin-motored amphibian plane on a mission for the Civil Aeronautics Authority were killed shortly after noon today when the ship nose-dived at high speed into Manhasset Bay, flipped over on its back and immediately sank.

Eric Radke, pilot for the CAA, was at the controls and went down with the plane, which was shattered as it hit the water with terrific force, throwing William A. Bowerman, inspector for the CAA, and George J. Daufkirch, who was negotiating for sale of the plane to the CAA, out of the cabin into the water. Bowerman and Daufkirch were taken ashore alive but died of their injuries during the afternoon. The plane, a recently rebuilt Sikorsky about ten years old, was being purchased by the CAA for work in Alaska, and Radke was to become its co-pilot. Although an experienced aviator, he did not have a CAA rating for that type of plane, and with Daufkirch accompanying them, he and Bowerman took off from Roosevelt Field this morning to enable the latter to give Radke a rating test. They landed at Port Washington Seaplane Base and again took off, flying out over the bay.

Miss Arline Hays, daughter of Arthur Garfield Hays, lawyer, was standing on the lawn of the Hays home as the plane streaked away. She said that it seemed to be unable to rise and was at an altitude of not more than 200 feet when it suddenly dived with the engines roaring. She ran into the house and telephoned Port Washington police. Emul Kremer of Long Island City and Otto Hildebrandt of Far Rockaway, painters, who had been at work on the residence of George F, Trommer, brewer, were seated on a dock eating their lunches when the plane struck. They said it "seemed to explode."

Bert Patrick, pilot, who was watching from the seaplane base, climbed into a plane and flew out to the wreck. By the time he got there boys in a rowboat had picked up Daufkirch. Patrick got to the floundering Bowerman and helped lift him into the rowboat.

Captain Charles Schorner of 2656 Decatur Avenue, the Bronx, whose thirty-foot cruiser had been in the vicinity with a fishing party aboard, got a line to the rowboat and towed it ashore. The injured men were carried into the Pan American Airways hangar.



THIS PAGE UPLOADED: 03/13/14 REVISED: 04/19/16